TAIF – With its unique Islamic pattern and technical designs that epitomize the era of its construction around the mid-14th Hijri century, King Abdulaziz Palace in Al-Muwayh Governorate in Al-Taif can be considered a masterpiece -an architectural work that has become one of the historical monuments of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The palace is characterized by its central location among the adjacent villages and its proximity to the Hajj route at that time between the old Al-Muwayh (Al-Muwayh Al-Qadim) and the new Al-Muwayh. With an estimated area of 14,900 square meters, the palace is nearly 185 kilometers east of Taif. It is surrounded by a wall of solid black rocks 4.5 meters high and one meter thick. Its construction embodied the identity of the region in the model of ancient Saudi palaces.
The palace is secured by two watchtowers and two castles on the east and north sides, and is composed of a wall with a courtyard for the royal compartment which is built with rock and gypsum, in addition to protocol rooms for receiving guests and visitors, and the seat of accompanying personalities and government delegations.
Visitors to the palace can notice its rectangular shape to the west of the castle. It has two entrances. The main entrance serves living quarters and service units, a dining hall, bedrooms, bathrooms and a palace for guests, as well as several rooms opening onto an uncovered courtyard. The main entrance is on the north side.
Two wells guaranteed water for its occupants. The castle has a mosque, several towers, a room for making coffee, a bedroom and a gas station for refueling cars, and another residential palace in the middle of the castle with six bedrooms.
Al-Muwayh over 85 years ago had the honor of receiving King Abdulaziz during his first visits in 1360 Hijri to the palace which was built in 1357 Hijri. The palace was known among the main stations of the late king when he arrived for Hajj, Umrah, summering or hunting. He also used to meet the citizens at the palace during his annual visit to the region. — SPA